Wednesday 9 March 2016

Gaining mastery

With the warm weather settling in, we flung off our coats and went exploring. At the back of the big kids' yard we found a stream draining into the storm sewer. 

Immediately the children began engaging in mastery play- play that encourages manipulation of the environment. They started trying to control the flow using rocks, sticks and dried grasses. 


Feeling powerful over forces such as water and gravity is an important element of child development. Children learn boundaries- both their own and those of Nature. 

It was too lovely to go inside, so we headed to the playground which is finally open after its winter hibernation!

Immediately, the air was filled with calls of "watch me!" 
"Look at me do this!" 
"I can do it now!" 
"I've never been this high before!"
"I was scared but I did it. I'm brave!"




It was amazing how much the children grew over the winter, how much stronger and coordinated they are. They ended the day feeling powerful and masterful. 


No comments:

Post a Comment