Tuesday 29 April 2014

Finding Balance

Throughout our year, we've been inquiring into balance. We've done yoga, balanced blocks in the construction centre, and done challenges trying to balance cups, books, and toys on our heads. Yesterday we headed out to the woods to try some balancing on the logs. 

We went over some safety rules, such as "No higher than your knees unless a teacher is in arm's reach" and "No balancing over rocks or on wet logs", and dove in.

The children were delighted by the natural playgound in the woods.
"Look I'm a monkey in the tree! I'm like a baboon - I can go on the ground and in the tree!"

The climbing was literally a balancing act for the children. They had to balance their feelings of safety and comfort with the will to explore and take risks. As a result, they were filled with a sense of accomplishment. They were only a few feet off the ground, but it seemed much higher from up on top.


"I can climb up here because I've done it before."
"Look I'm checking each spot is strong and steady before I crawl on it."
"It's easier to crouch down and crawl. I can keep my balance that way."


Not only was it a wonderful moment out in the crisp spring sun, it highlighted just how strong and confident our students have become. They have learned to take safe risks and to enjoy the satisfaction that comes with pushing personal comfort zones. This is the foundation of all learning - no one learns when they are completely comfortable. A little bit of risk that throw things off balance can go a long way.




No comments:

Post a Comment